Using the #SAMR Model to Create Collaborative Google Presentations

Since the beginning of my career, I have always naturally wanted to integrate technology into my lesson plans; however, I have never really given much thought to the strategy involved. I just seem to do it. 

Recently, I have come across the SAMR model of technology integration, which stands for: Substitution, Augmentation, Modification, and Redefinition.  There are so many resources on the topic. In fact, here is my favorite article from GettingSmart.com  


After much thought, I have found that I have emphasized the Augmentation and Modification levels of the SAMR model in my own quest to integrate technology. For example, many of us have used PowerPoint as a form of Augmentation or using technology as a replacement for common tasks.

It is a great substitute for lecture and provides visual representation for visual learners; however, I have found that our students are often “PowerPointed” to death and tend to lose interest almost immediately.

I wanted to try something new to help my students take more responsibility for their learning and develop powerful collaboration skills. I decided to use a Google Presentations as a form of Modification,  to redesign the way students would interact with content, each other, and technology. 

It was simple. I created a presentation template as a Google Presentation. It assigned a group number and provided information and resources students needed to help prepare the presentation.  I changed the sharing settings, so that anyone with the link could modify the presentation without needing to sign into Google.  I shared the link with my students by copying and pasting the URL into my Edmodo page; however, you could easily share it by copying and pasting the URL into a word document or webpage or using a URL shortener like www.tinyurl.com

Each group was assigned a slide and had to work together to put together the presentation. After 10 – 15 minutes, each group assigned a spokesperson to present their information. As students presented information, their classmates would fill out a note outline. As I listened to the presentation, I would interject if necessary to add to the dialog, highlight information on the presentation to study, or type in additional information. When the presentation was finished, I would modify the sharing settings, so that anyone with a link could view and not edit.


Want to see how I did it? Check it out:




Want to see me in action? I invited you to come check out my presentations @ PETE&C on Monday, February 10th in Hershey, PA: 
  • 5 Awesome Ways To Use Weebly In Schools from 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM in the Cocoa Suite 5 (Hershey Lodge)
  • Changing Learning through AudioBoo from 3:45 PM - 4:45 PM in the Crystal A room (Hershey Lodge)

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Tips for Engaging Learners with UDL

Phillip Schlechty (2011) theorized that the highest levels of learner engagement require learners' full attention and commitment. While ...